Commonly referred to as a cap, a dental crown may be utilized to treat a significant cavity, protect a fragile tooth, renew a damaged tooth, or cover a discolored tooth. Customized to be situated over the desired tooth and colored to match the adjacent teeth for a desired look, a dental crown protects and restores functionality to weakened teeth. The dentists of Parkway Dental utilize several different methods for crowns to best suit the needs of men and women in Missouri City, TX.
Throughout your initial appointment with a highly trained member of the Parkway Dental dental team, we will discuss the multiple crown material options with you in order to select the ideal material that meets your dental needs, aesthetic goals, and budget. If you want to learn more concerning the kinds of crowns and by what means they can rejuvenate your teeth, then continue below for additional detailed information.
CANDIDATES TO RECEIVE A DENTAL CROWN:
One of our dental professionals may recommend a dental crown as a solution for numerous reasons, such as:
- As a way to cover a fractured tooth, protecting it from uncovered nerves that could lead to severe sensitivity and pain
- To act as a support system for loose or worn teeth
- Utilized aesthetically to hide discolored or misaligned teeth
- To act as a foundation to hold dental bridges in place
- If a cavity is too extensive to be restored with a regular filling
- To renew a tooth’s purpose and look after a root canal procedure
- To allow for the maintenance of a damaged, decaying tooth in order to decrease further dental problems
TYPES OF DENTAL CROWNS
Based on the patient’s needs, tooth location, and preferences, crowns are created from numerous materials. Whereas some crowns can last upwards of 15 years, some are merely a short-lived solution.
- Metal: This type of crown is normally made using stainless steel or various other metals, which are customized for the patient's required needs.
- Ceramic or Porcelain: Thought of as the best aesthetic option, this dental crown has a color-match unsurpassed by any other substance. Ceramic or porcelain crowns are typically used on the forward teeth and modeled after the shape, shade, and size of the patient’s natural teeth. This material is also the best for those withwho suffer from] allergic reactions to metal.
- Porcelain over Metal: A porcelain over metal crown is ideal for protecting front or back teeth and boosts the resilience of metal to a dental bridge. The porcelain allows the dental professional to specifically match the natural enamel of surrounding teeth for a cohesive appearance.
- Temporary: A temporary crown is built from acrylic or stainless steel and is commonly made in the dentist’s practice for faster protectioncompared to a long-lasting crown, which is made in a dental laboratory.
HOW IT WORKS
The first step for patients in Missouri City, TX to obtain a dental crown is to meet with a dental professional from Parkway Dental during an appointment. During this appointment, digital or physical impressions of your smile will be taken, which ensures the individualized fit of your restoration. When your crown is complete, the treatment site will be thoroughly numbed with a local anesthetic before the existing tooth may be adapted to ensure the crown’s fit. Further impressions are required to evaluate the proper fit and bite before it is secured of the crown atop the natural tooth or attached to a dental implant. The proper configuration of your new crown allows for continuing durability. The entire treatment may take several weeks to complete because crowns will be sent to a dental laboratory for creation. When required, a temporary crown will be suggested.
As soon as the local anesthesia has eased, normal daily activities may be returned to. The team at Parkway Dental can give necessary recovery instructions, which are essential to follow for the best recovery and healing. We will show you the best method to tend to your crown, including specific foods to avoid. For men and women who grind their teeth or tighten their jaws, a nighttime guard may be recommended to maintain your crown. It is essential to attend your yearly dental exams at Parkway Dental as a way to ensure optimal oral health in the future. Regular daily brushing and flossing may help to prevent decay or periodontal disease and the requirement for further crowns later on.
Dedicated to your optimal oral health, Parkway Dental offers treatments for individuals in Missouri City, TX featuring the latest dental procedures, including dental crowns. Men and women who require a crown can feel comfortable knowing they have options that meet their cosmetic needs and budget. If you are considering a dental crown and want to learn more about this specialized procedure, we invite you to call or set up an appointment with Parkway Dental today.